Rivers, their basins, and coastal zones face unparalleled pressures, jeopardizing the provision of vital ecosystem services. Past exploitation and the continuous unsustainable management of water and land resources are now compounded by the unprecedented challenge of climate change. This crisis is impacting global economies and our collective wellbeing, the environment, and biodiversity, and will permanently alter our planet and societies.
This is why an integrated river basin management (IRBM) approach from headwaters to coastal zones is essential is key. IBRM must be guided by: (i) governance and policy reforms; (ii) stakeholder engagement and regional cooperation; (iii) science and evidence-based approaches; (iv) innovation, technology, and nature-based solutions; (v) cross-sectoral frameworks; (vi) a systems approach with enhanced planning; and (vii) mobilization of finance.
Side Event Overview
This side event at the UN 2023 Water Conference will present selected cases, including the Yellow River Basin, Yangtze River Basin, the Rhine and others to share knowledge and solutions that demonstrate successful applications of integrated IRBM. Contributions will focus on inclusive governance and application of the above principles to achieve successful cross-sectoral and multi-stakeholder outcomes. Importantly, the event will highlight on-the-ground projects and programs that accelerate implementation of the SDGs and identify critical issues facing policymakers and practitioners through national and local experiences.
This event is led by Ministry of Water Resources of the People’s Republic of China, and organized by Asian Development Bank; Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations; The Nature Conservancy; Chinese Academy for Urban Planning and Design; Deltares; Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management, the Netherlands; General Institute of Water Resources and Hydropower Planning and Design (GIWP), the PRC; Secretariat of China Council for International Cooperation on Environment and Development (CCICED); and Yellow River Institute of Hydraulic Research, the PRC.
List of Speakers
- Guoying Li, Minister of Water Resources, the People’s Republic of China
- Jaime de Bourbon de Parme, Climate Envoy, Government of the Netherlands
- Woochong Um, Managing Director General, Asian Development Bank
- Tom Panella, Director Environment, Agriculture, Natural Resources, Asian Development Bank
- Jasmin Schous, Senior Advisor, International Water Affaris, Ministry of Infrastructre and Water Management, Government of the Netherlands
- Yuanyuan Li, Vice President, General Institute of Water Resources and Hydropower Planning and Design of China; President, International Water Resources Association
- Annemieke Nijhof, CEO, Deltares
- Lifeng Li, Director, Land and Water Division, Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations
- Liqun Huang, Director, Ministry of Water Resources, the People’s Republic of China
- Any Newsock, Global Associate Director of Freshwater Outcomes, The Nature Conservancy
- Xin Yu, President, Yellow River Institute of Hydraulic Research
- Silvia Cardascia, Water Resources Specialist, Asian Development Bank
- Xiaojiang Li, Special Advisor of China Council for International Cooperation on Environment and Development
Join the event via this Zoom link. Meeting ID: 974 4486 7472. Passcode: MTG230324
|10:00 – 10:20||Opening Ceremony
Moderator: Ms. Li Linyi, Deputy Director of International Exchange Division, International Poverty Reduction Center in China (IPRCC).
Ms. Li Xin, Deputy Director-General of IPRCC.
|10:20 – 12:00||Country Presentation I
Moderator: Ms. Li Linyi, Deputy Director of International Exchange Division of IPRCC.
Commentator: Dr. Zhang Chuanhong, Associate Professor of China Agricultural University.
Speakers (20 minutes each):
1. Diversification of Income for Poor Farmers.
Mr. Horn Kimhong, Program Coordinator, Dan Church Aid, Cambodia.
2. PRC Aided Pilot Project of Poverty Reduction Cooperation in Myanmar.
Mr. Win Kyaw Myo, Director, Department of Rural Development, Ministry of Cooperatives and Rural Development, Myanmar.
3. Mr. Htun Htun Oo, Second Secretary, Embassy of Myanmar.
4. Exploration and Experience: Rural Revitalization in the PRC.
Dr. Xu Jin, Associate Professor, China Agricultural University.
|12:00 – 14:30||Break|
|14:30 – 16:00||Country Presentation II
Moderator: Ms. Maha Ahmed, Deputy Country Director, World Food Programme.
Speakers (20 minutes each):
1. Singapore’s Approach to Social Assistance and Community Development.
Ms. Lau Amanda, Manager, Ministry of Social and Family Development, Singapore.
2. Tourist Attraction/Learning Community, Baan Nam Sap Learning Center.
Mrs. Suttapak Panpapai, Foreign Relations Officer, Professional Level, ASEAN Unit, Office of Permanent Secretariat, Ministry of Interior, Thailand.
3. D-Hope Project Thailand.
Mrs. Nicha Premchan, Foreign Relation Officer, Professional Level, Department of Community Development, Thailand.
4. Case Introduction and Video Presentation of Hesilu Village in Zhejiang Province.
Mr. He Yunhui, Party Secretary of Hesilu Village, Zhejiang Province, the PRC.
|16:00 – 16:20||Closing Ceremony
Mr. Miguel Musngi, Senior Officer, Poverty Eradication and Gender Division of the ASEAN Secretariat.